Over two dozen Oregon-centered conservation organization, including the Sierra Club, have sent a letter to Senator Ron Wyden opposing his O&C bill. The letter details how the bill would:
• weaken environmental laws and policies;
• dismantle the Northwest Forest Plan;
• not solve county budget problems;
• mandate agressive logging and harms water quality;
• fall short on old growth protection;
• dispose of and fragments public lands;
• offset major environmental harms with small conservation gains; and
• set a dangerous precedent for public lands across the nation.
The groups signing the letter are:
American Bird Conservancy, Audubon Society of Corvallis, Audubon Society of Portland, Bark, Benton Forest Coalition, Cascadia Wildlands, Center for Biological Diversity, Conservation Northwest, Coast Range Association, Dakubetebe Environmental Education Programs, Earthjustice, Environment America, Environment Oregon, Forest Web of Cottage Grove, Gifford Pinchot Task Force, Klamath-Siskiyou Wildlands Center, Lane County Audubon Society, Oregon Wild, Sierra Club, Soda Mountain Wilderness Council, Threatened and Endangered Little Applegate Valley, Umpqua Valley Audubon Society, Umpqua Watersheds, Western Environmental Law Center and Willamette Riverkeeper.